Thursday, March 19, 2009

Break Down


Yep, after another grueling weekend doing landlord work in Laughlin, my van croaked. We were riding along, up hill, fully loaded with work equipment, and my temp gage started to go up. Then I heard pinging, and it went down hill from there. We lost power and had to coast off the freeway to a deserted road, which I was sure we were going to be killed on (too much tv drama watched by me) There was smoke, steam, minor cursing, and AAA. We were towed back to Needles, CA. Barry bought a very expensive bottle of anti-freeze and tried to get us going again. No such luck, the temp spiked again, so we found a decent motel and spent the night. Quite an adventure! Barry got up early to see what and how to fix the problem and I slept in and watched tv till noon, then ate the breakfast he brought up to me. Glad to be a girl! Anyway, we called Dustin who was ready to roll on out to Needles to get us, Brandon too was going to leave work early and come to our rescue. Glad to have grown up sons! In the end, Dustin had a fabulous idea, he added us to his premium AAA and got us a tow to Victorville, which would have cost us $2000.00! We spent a nice night at Brandon and Cheri's house and Barry felt lucky and drove the vehicle home. He put water in the radiator and it didn't overheat. The problem was a crack in the radiator causing water to leak, causing over heating, and then a cracked head gasket. Big ticket item! There goes my new couch! So I am a foot for a week until the van is fixed. Thanks boys for all of your help.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet dad was not a happy camper when the van was broke down and you were taking pictures for your blog. That was very nice of Dustin to add to his AAA. Good job guys.

Amanda said...

Oh No!!! I heard about your break down. I hope you are up and running and that it wasn't too spendy. I'm glad Dusty could help!

Nice pictures of Uncle Barry! haha