Sunday, March 22, 2009

It's Springtime!

My work is cut out for me
Each kid will get a pot to plant,
the name of these pumpkins are "Big Max"~Our Maxie will like that!
Coral Bells
Rinuculas
Love these, can't remember the whole name, Pents...
Not sure, but pretty and attract butterflies and hummingbirds
Columbine, love these flowers, isn't God amazingly creative?

I love nothing more than to go and get a bunch of pretty plants for my yard. This weekend we out did ourselves and I have lots to do in the garden. Barry and I are going to plant the vegetable garden this week and I will do the flowers in the front yard. It's been a long time since I've had a garden and I am really looking forward to it, especially with the grand kids. I don't think they've ever seen how food grows. Tomorrow night they are all coming over to plant the pumpkin plants and the sunflower seeds we bought for them. I am going to teach them how to grow their own pumpkins. It's going to be fun to see their faces when they come for a visit and see how their little crops are progressing. I will also let them plant some strawberries and radishes, pretty easy and prolific stuff. I want them to have great success~my future garden helpers in my old age! I remember my Nana always said after she'd plant something, "grow, baby, grow" and then she'd pat the dirt. I'll do that too. I think lots of good memories can be made in a bunch of sweet dirt.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

A good idea with the pumpkins...since all the kids will have theirs...when the pumpkins get a little bigger, have each kid lightly carve their initial on the pumpkin or some design...that way they will know it is theirs. The scar will heal and leave the design on there for good! It's fun!

I'm jealous of all the flowers...no flowers here, although my tulips are budding out! I can't wait to see their pretty faces!

cinnamongirl said...

How fun! Be careful with th eflowers you said you couldn't remember the name of. I had those last year; if they are what I am thinking of. I had cut a few and put them in a vase. Well, a few days later I noticed that Zach had taken them out of the vase and drank the water. When I googled them online I found that EVERY part of this plant is poisonous. They really should put that on the label!! I freaked out and called poison control who said he should be fine; just to watch him. I know most kids don't drink vase water, or eat flowers but it's good to know!

Laura Kae Brandler said...

Jenn, that's pretty funny, he was thirsty! I didn't know that, thanks I'll watch the kids.

Amanda, I did know that and heard that that you can write a name on it into the skin and it will go with the pumpkin, i am trying that.

Melissa said...

Your pics brought a smile to my face..I can't wait for flowers :)

Anonymous said...

OH those are so beautiful! Hope you have lots of fun with the kiddos!! :D