Monday, June 22, 2009

The Night of the Raccoons

Friday night was crazy! None of us got any sleep. Raccoons were fighting/mating?? all around our house, slamming into windows, rolling on the roof. Jess couldn't even get out of her car, they were all around her. At one point I looked outside and Harley ran out and started to bark at the big raccoon and she chased him back into my house. She was at least 2 feet past my front door. I started screaming bloody murder and to my shock and surprise Barry continued to sleep! She ran out finally.
We were about to go to bed, when Jess took a look out and saw babies, so of course she came and got me to see them. We watched the momma trying to get the babies to climb back into the nest, which is inside my pillar by the front door. While we were watching, out charges a huge mean raccoon and all hell breaks loose! They start fighting and the babies scatter, one ran right into my house! The big ones ran off and so we decide to leave the front door open so the mom can call the baby out, we couldn't pick him up and didn't want to push him out when his mom was gone. So we sat in chairs and counters waiting, some with butcher knifes and 911 on speed dial. We waited and waited and in walks in another baby and goes right into Jessa's room. Now we have two babies in the house. Another if you count Barry who came out every 5-10 minutes, to flip his wiggy about us staying up all night (by then it was 6:30 or 7am) and us causing such a raucous!
By now I am worried that the mom is hurt, when I hear the fighting again! This time in a huge tree in the front yard of my neighbors. It was the mean one and a baby. The baby fell out of the tree and he kept tearing it up, I scared him away, but still no momma. So we finally call the Humane Society cause the baby was hurt and we had them inside. I didn't want to call because I thought they would be taken away. We'll the lady came and went to get them both which were now together in Jessica's room. She captured them and the noise was unbelievable, crazy coming from inside Jessa's room, they went round and round. One was sleeping under the pillow. So sweet. The officer was really nice and put them safely back on top of the pillar.
Anyway, I worried all Saturday that they didn't have a mom anymore, but she was there when I got home, her babies all snuggled in and her on top of the pillar, watching over them. I feel so lucky to have them here, even though they cause mayhem at times. They are so cute!

The little guy trying to look as big as he can. Trying to climb up to the top and then over and in. They live all the way down in the pillar.
Mom teaching them how to do it, she finally got impatient and drug one in by the neck!
They weren't scared of us at all, but they didn't like the dogs!
Aren't they so cute!
They didn't want to go in, so they would run back down and play some more. They should have listened to their mom, the mean guy came a few minutes later and it was helter skelter!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Ok I am going to have nightmares tonight I hate racoons...it all steams from my childhood with fighting outside of my tent. I can't believe they came in your house that is insane!!!

Amanda said...

WOWZA's!!!!! What a story! I love the pictures. You are a true blogger. This is a total blogging moment and you captured it perfectly! Nice work!!!