Monday, February 16, 2009

For Amanda ~ Holiday Traditions

As I told Amanda, I remember the very day I realized you could extend the holidays so that you were celebrating continuously all year. So since I missed New Year's and Valentine's Day, I will tell you what I did for those days too.

New Year's Eve: Kids stayed up and banged pots and pans along with the neighbor kids. Can't remember much else, hope that doesn't mean I was a drinker (LOL).

Valentine's Day- It was always fun to go to the store and let each kid pick out their own valentine's to be addressed to the class. The boys didn't like doing this that much, I remember writing their names for them on the backs of the cards. It was always fun when they came home from school with their little sacks of valentines. I even have fond memories of myself as a child doing that. Anyways, valentines were always strewn about and the candy eaten.

As time went on and I grew as a mother I did more things, pink milk, pink pannycakes with sprinkles, parties at school and the making of sugar cookies, even matching homemade shirts for Jess and a friend. Now I make holiday pillowcases for my G-kids.

Always, always there were decorations and they were left till the next month, the next holiday.

If my kids remember anything else I/we did or which will be more likely the case, if I need corrected, please post. Thanks

1 comment:

Amanda said...

How fun! thanks for posting your holiday ideas. Keep them coming. I have some ideas from when I was younger and Kevin has some from his family. Together we are excited to make them fun for our kids!