Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Life Lessons from a Hummingbird




I have a constant companion outside my window lately. The little guy goes from the lemon tree to the hummingbird feeder and back again. Only occasionally does he leave the area and when he does it's so he can chase away other hummers from "his" bird feeder.

I thought what a silly little guy. Here he is wasting his time hoarding his food. It's not like I am his only source. He could be soaring here and there, sipping nectar from all sorts of beautiful flowers. He could be having fun doing aerial acrobats, racing his friends, finding a mate, seeing the world, etc... But no he feels he has something special here that every other hummer wants and he is willing to sacrifice to keep it. I think it would be better if he shared, boy would his little world open up!

P.s. The little guy did give me something, an idea for a book I am going to write.

No comments: