Sunday, September 28, 2008

My Mission


I was able to go to the Bishop's Store House this past week. I am like all other missionaries, I LOVE MY MISSION! Seriously, I know I am not doing the very hard work and enduring the many sacrifices of a "real" missionary, I would never want to take away from what they do, they are a different breed from me and what I do. Nevertheless, it is a mission, I was called of God through inspiration and my very own prayers (I had long wanted to do more service).

Can I say it again, I love what I am doing. I love the organization of my Church, particularly the Humanitarian side of it. What a wonderful, inspired, necessary, caring part of the Church. It helps and blesses countless lives, all over the world. Check out this site for more info on the Bishop's Store House, http://www.mormonwiki.com/Church_Welfare_Program
Check out the pictures of the warehouse where I work in Colton, CA. That is all food and supplies for the needy or for emergency situations. I kind of took these on the sly, I didn't want to spend my working time snapping a bunch of pics, but next week I will take some of my fellow missionaries and the store.

Can I say something of the store? It really is like a real store. In fact it's made to be that way so people don't feel like they are accepting handouts or are less than any one else. We are told to keep the store neat and clean, well stocked with items in perfect order (nothing upside down or backwards) and most importantly, there is nothing offered that isn't in excellent condition. We don't give them anything that we wouldn't want to eat or have ourselves. We want their dignity preserved. I love this philosophy, and all that is there comes from Church members tithes and offerings, how Christlike, caring one for another.

What a blessing to me to see this in action and to be a part of it every week.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

My Mom told me of you getting lost. HOW SCARY! I'm glad you are safe!

What a great mission! Keep us updated! Isn't that church amazing? All of these things are truly inspired by the Lord!

Anonymous said...

That is great! How exciting to do this work that helps so many people! Good for you!!! Maybe someday I'll be able to do more service. Right now my main service is to my kids and husband :) But I love it!